Carruth Center is dedicated to fostering a supportive learning environment for all members of the WVU community through counseling, training, psychological and psychiatric services. Their counselors and staff will provide crisis intervention and telehealth consultations and support students in Morgantown and across West Virginia, however licensure and legal restrictions mean that they are unable to provide ongoing clinical services to students outside of West Virginia. However, Carruth Center’s team will help students access Morneau Shepell’s virtual counseling or a counselor in their community.
This unique relationship means that WVU is well-prepared to provide support to our entire student population.
Students enrolled in the Student Support Program, called My SSP, are given ways to proactively address day-to-day mental health and emotional challenges and concerns before they become bigger issues.
All services are 100% confidential and free of charge to students. My SSP provides the following:
- Direct access to clinical counselors who can speak to students in multiple languages.
- Effective and convenient ways for students to access support via telephone, chat, video, mobile app or web.
- Telephone support is available in 30+ languages.
- Chat, app and web support is available in simplified Chinese, Korean, Arabic, Latin American Spanish, French and English.
- Ongoing support is available by telephone or video.
- Guidance is available for faculty members to deal with difficult student conversations or assisting students who have indicated they may need to speak to someone.
- Self-directed digital content is available online and on the My SSP App.
Students outside West Virginia can receive access to support by:
- Downloading the free My SSP App! (available from the App Store/Google Play).
- Calling 1-866-743-7732 from North America.
- Calling from outside North America, dial 001-416-380-6578.
- Visiting us.myissp.com and selecting West Virginia University.
For more information on this new partnership with Morneau Shepell or any of the other student services Carruth Center provides, please call 304-293-4431. Services are somewhat limited due to WVU’s response to the COVID-19 outbreak; detailed information can be found at their website.