We are almost to the end of the fall semester and I want to take a moment and wish you good luck on your finals!
I also want to wish students preparing for graduation some early congratulations! Go make us proud as you put your West Virginia University degree to good use.
The end of the semester is a perfect time to reflect on the last few months. And, although you would probably love to not have finals to worry about, you can use some strategies that have been effective in the past to help make the next few weeks manageable.
Over the next few weeks:
- Make sure you’re getting enough sleep. While needs vary, at least 7 – 10 hours is necessary for optimal performance. Your body will thank you. (All-nighters are a college myth, anyways.)
- Take study breaks. Quality vs quantity. Set a timer and stick to it.
- Enjoy a few of the pop-up locations for snacks and goodies throughout campus and perhaps in your academic units.
- Move for your mental health. It can do wonders. Just 30 minutes of moving can help you refocus. Swing by the student rec center with friends and blow off some steam.
- Connect with friends, family and loved ones. They are your biggest cheering section and social support is key to managing stress.
- Eat. Don’t skip meals and opt for fruits and veggies over fast food. You need fuel especially before an exam.
- Don’t be afraid to work with our mental health experts at the Carruth Center. College is stressful. It’s okay to seek help if you are struggling.
Most importantly, know that all of us in Student Life and throughout the University care about you and your success.
You got this!
G. Corey Farris
Dean of Students