2017 August and December graduates of WVU are invited to participate in Commencement ceremonies scheduled for December 15 inside the WVU Coliseum. This year there will be two ceremonies:
College of Business and Economics
Eberly College of Arts and Sciences
Benjamin M. Statler College of Engineering and Mineral Resources
College of Creative Arts
College of Education and Human Services
College of Law
College of Physical Activity and Sport Sciences
Davis College of Agriculture, Natural Resources, and Design
Reed College of Media
School of Dentistry
School of Medicine
School of Nursing
School of Pharmacy
School of Public Health
If you plan to participate, please fill out and submit the online registration form by December 9. This is in addition to completing the application to graduate through the Office of the University Registrar which is due by October 6.
Please keep the following information in mind as you make your plans:
- On December 15th, graduates must report to the Colis
eum's 2nd Level Country Roads (Red) Gate one hour prior to the ceremony st
art time to check-in and receive instructions for line-up. Please refer to the
start times above – 9 a.m. (check-in at 8 a.m.) and 2 p.m. (check-in
at 1 p.m.) - for your school or college.
- Tickets are NOT required and there are no restrictions on the number of guests
a graduate may bring. Each ceremony will last approximately two hours.
- Graduates are required to wear caps and gowns. Regalia is available for purchase
online from Herff Jones or in person from the WVU Bookstores.
- Doctoral candidates will be hooded onstage by a faculty member of their choice
or a WVU administrator. Master’s candidates will not be hooded on stage and should
wear their hoods to the ceremony.
- Diplomas will be mailed after all grades are finalized and certified by the Office
of the University Registrar.
- Names of the 2017 August and December graduates will be listed in the December
2017 Commencement program. They will not appear in the May 2018 program.
- To arrange accommodations for graduates or guests with disabilities, please visit
our Accessibility Services page for further instructions.
- GradImages has been contracted to provide quality graduation photos of each student.
Proofs will be emailed to the student within 48 hours of the ceremony.
- Questions? Contact the Office of University Events at
Congratulations on your upcoming graduation. We look forward to seeing you in December!
DISCLAIMER: Registration to walk in December Commencement is not a record of degrees awarded. Names listed in the December Commencement program are taken from applications for graduation made to WVU's Office of the University Registrar for August and December graduation. Registration for graduation does not ensure that graduate names appear in the program and participation in Commencement exercises does not constitute graduation from West Virginia University. Students who have met the academic criteria required for their program of study will have their degree conferred by the University and will receive their diploma in the mail. Please contact the Office of the University Registrar at 304-293-5355 or firstname.lastname@example.org with questions regarding diplomas.